Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Using a Classroom Blog

I teach mathematics to ninth to twelfth graders at a public high school. I think that a blog would be a good instructional tool so that everyone can have a voice and access to the teacher for individual comments. I currently have a class portal at
http://www.hartfordschools.net/Schools/HHS/FacultyandStaff/Math/KentNancy/tabid/425/Default.aspx
which I update every Friday. I post the next week’s assignments, links to our online text book and other useful sites, but it is not interactive. I can think of two useful ways to use a blog in my math classroom.

The first would be to build a body of knowledge around the current topic. I could address common misconceptions and be available to help with homework. I could also post related reading or links that expand the topic if I organize it by chapter and concept. It would be a forum for students to “talk” about mathematics which would allow for greater understanding and a collaborative workspace as students do their assignments. I could also publish student work for students to model. This could serve to inspire student who would like to learn more and expand the walls of the classroom.

The second idea came to me as I was grading a long term problem solving assignment in my Honors Algebra 2 class. I realized some students had a misconception early in the process and therefore the solution was incorrect. If they had had a space to post their ideas, I could have guided them in the right direction. It could be a place for them to interact about content.

Great video references on blogs and rss feeds

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy,
    I think the idea for students to interact about the misconception would have been and would be a great way to use more critical thinking. With you being able to guide them, I believe they would have a means to get started and to help them feel successful as they ponder on their misconception and get that "I Got It" sense of satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy,
    I really love your ideas about how to use blog to facilitate your teaching of Maths to your students! Maths has never been my strongest link, I can imagine having a blog like that, I will be interested to go there every day, I remember as a student who was weak in Maths, I dare not ask too many questions without appearing 'dumb', having blog will be just like having a place where I can voice myself without feeling embarrassed and still maintain the interaction with my classmates. It also allows teachers to assess and evaluate students' progress as you teach. What a great way to do that.

    In my school, our students are crazy about sudoku, are yours interested in those? They can sit there and play for hours non-stop! Imagine including a 'daily sudoku challenge' or something like that, I am sure students will go there as if playing video games!

    This sounds so exciting, wish I can come up with something for my English subject :)

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy,
    I liked the idea that students could post their misconception or things they didn't understand in the class. When I was in school I was afraid to tell the teacher that I didn't understand a concept the teacher is able to reiterate once again on the blog. The student can feel bold and safe because it is not face to face. A blog like this could also encourage other students who may have the same problem to voice their problems as well. Technology is truly great. I have bought Nintento ds where my students play Brain Age. This really helps my student to love math but yet still play a video game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Najele had a great point about the studnets being more open to talk and discuss on a blog rather than in class/face to face. I think both of your ideas are great for the interaction with students. I know when I was in high school and got home to do homework sometimes it was difficult when you couldn't remember exactly what to do or maybe you forgot something in your notes. If I had a teacher with a blog that I could contact for help, it would have been great. I would love to hear how things go.

    ReplyDelete