Monday, November 15, 2010

Carrying Out the Game Plan


Royalty Free Image from www.123rf.com


My research first revealed that spreadsheets were usually a component of an Office Suite as opposed to a standalone application. I organized this information into a hierarchy. Next I began by classifying the different types of spreadsheets that students could use and made the following Concept Map.



To test each spreadsheet, I generated 5 sets of data to import into each one to test the 5 types of Trend line regressions I usually ask my students to do: Linear, Quadratic, Polynomial, Exponential with an integer base and Exponential with e (2.718) base. In class we usually use Excel or a Texas Instruments (TI) calculator (which does not have a print feature). I made a list of what features students would need if they were working from home: make and print a graph, print data chart and export to Excel. I organized this information into a matrix to compare to our classroom based options. There will be an additional column for each site I locate. Currently the list is: Google Docs, Open Office – Calc, Zoho, EditGrid, Microsoft Cloud, KOffice, ZCubes and Google Wave.



I have already eliminated Gnome as an option as it was open source and geared more toward developers. I have two more sites to research that could add to the list I have found so far

http://www.editgrid.com/user/siulung/Web-based_Spreadsheets_Comparison_Matrix

and

http://mashable.com/2008/02/06/forget-excel-14-online-spreadsheet-applications/

By now I realized my research was going in 3 directions

1) Classifying spreadsheets: web based, downloadable or cost which I also want to further subcategorize by real time/collaborative. (1st Concept Map)

2) Site Research sites, make accounts at each and test 5 data sets by trendline. (I am concerned I am getting too many)

3) If a spreadsheet did not have trendline feature, researching if there were built-in functions to build the trendline by graph quality or if you had to manually enter each formula:



I was starting to get overwhelmed, so I started a journal to organize my progress each day and prioritize my time. Although I would like to know 100% of everything, I think I need to limit my direction in two areas.

If I continue to add new sites, like the ones from the above 2 web sites, I would have 24 sites to test. I guess I only need to research until I find the one that meets my students’ needs. My students at this point only need to know if the Trendline option if available, so although it is useful for me to know about built in functions and manual calculations, I will limit my time in this area, possible organizing it into a different comparative matrix.

My goals for this week are to finish compiling my list of spreadsheets, classifying them on the 1st concept map as I go in and make an account for each. Then begin testing my data sets.

Accessing Trendline Option:


Trendline Choices:

6 comments:

  1. Nancy,
    You have really done a thorough job. I am using a previous lesson plan and it looks like you are starting brand new. You have done a good job including graphics for us to follow. I can see why you would be overwhelmed. I have not heard of many of the programs that you have listed. Could you share about Gnome and Zoho? What math class would include such a project? I notice that you use the word "Trend" in your chart and then mention "Trendline" later in your entry. Could you share what you mean with these two terms? I am a math teacher and you have shared some interesting information, but I am a novice to these concepts
    Thanks, Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy,
    Thanks for the information. I did not realize that there were so many options when it came to spreadsheets. I want to start using them more often. I would be interested to hear what you discover as far as which spreadsheet is better.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoho is very similar to Google Docs - it has 20 different (free) online applications, many of them collaborative like a word processing or calendars. I was really hopefully it’s spreadsheet (called SHEET) would have that Google Doc’s sheet is missing – being able to produce what we math teachers call a Regression Line or Line of Best Fit with one click – which Excel calls a Trendline. I could piece together an equation by using a function for slope then another function for y-intercept, but I am looking for one stop shopping, especially with quadratic data.

    If you enter data into excel and create an xyscatter, you can right click on the data points and ask it to “Add a Trendline” and then there are 6 options. (I have added these two images to my original post above.) Be sure to check the next to last option “Display Equation on Chart”.
    I am thinking semantics is also part of my problem – Excel calls it TRENDLINE, I think of it as Regression. Some spreadsheet will tell you the next y value in the function (but not share the equation) and call it TREND.

    My goal is to find an easy at home (free) application for my students. Gnome was overwhelming for me, so I abandoned it as a option for my students. It advertises itself as “extremely user-friendly, GNOME is a large and complex system, and thus requires some learning to use”.

    I am still looking….perhaps I need an online graphing calculator – does anyone know of a good one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy,
    You have really been doing a lot of work! Your students are definitely going to benefit from all of your research! I also teach math and would like to use spreadsheets in the classroom. I will continue to follow your research to see what you find out!
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Nancy, this is an impressive blog site. I think the layout, color and graphics make it interesting to look at and I am sure your students will be drawn into it as well when using it within your class.

    I like the editgrid site you provided. I was concerned with how I was going to have my students record research via a spreadsheet since our school only has one computer lab and access is very limited.

    This is a great resource and students can do this portion of the assignment at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy,
    I have found a couple of web pages for online graphing calculators. I have used both, but if you just type in a search "online graphing calculator" there aer several to choose. You can find the ones that best fit your needs.
    http://www.coolmath.com/graphit/
    http://www.webgraphing.com/graphing_basic.jsp#
    Hope these help.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete