Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction and Technology Course Reflection

I am working on my masters’ degree from Walden University. When this course began, I analyzed my personal learning theory. In teaching mathematics, my education philosophy most closely matches the Cognitive Theory. Paul Friere stated that “To study is not to consume ideas but to create and re-create them”. After reflecting on all the learning theories in this course, I still believe the cumulative nature of mathematics is best taught with the cognitive theory, but that it must be complemented with cooperative group learning for our 21st Century Learners.

I will adjust my instruction by including more technology based cooperative constructivist activities. I have learned the rubric design is critical to ensure accountability and that each activity must be designed with three stages: planning, implementation and reflection. I have implemented a tutorial project with my Algebra class. Most students used Jing (http://www.jingproject.com/); one student used VoiceThread (http://voicethread.com/share/811543/). The second technology I will continue to implement is the use of Flip videos to model mathematical functions. I experimented with it this semester and was able to create a demo and have 3 students publish to our wiki (http://hurricanemath.wikispaces.com/Kent-Adv+Algebra2) modeling quadratic functions with volleyballs, soccer balls and footballs. These activities allow students to create and re-create their ideas about mathematical concepts.

I have two long term technology goals. The first is to use the technology to have students design graphic organizers such as concepts maps. I think this would be best implemented at the beginning of the course. We are on a block schedule so I can begin implementations in January. My second goal is help design a quiet space with a computer and microphone for student recordings. I had students who wanted to create a podcast or comment on a voicethread stay after school for a quiet environment. If we had one computer, perhaps with a carrel around it, creating a cubicle in each lab, it would give students the privacy and quiet they need to record. I will bring this proposal to the building technology committee.
It was fascinating to revisit the learning theories I had studied in college through a technology lens. So many things have changed. There have been advances in brain research and web2.0 tools that are now readily available to our students. I will continue to research how these tools can be used educationally and seek professional development to use them to their fullest potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment